Welcome to the website of the Working Group Cardiovascular Morphology of the AEPC.
The purpose of our working group (WG) is to promote a thorough and detailed anatomical knowledge of cardiovascular disease, from a clinical as well as a developmental point of view. The working group is dedicated to the organization of courses with focus on congenital heart disease. These courses are aimed at training of fellows Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiology, Thoracic Surgery as well as any other disciplines where knowledge on the anatomy of maldeveloped hearts is mandatory. Furthermore, dedicated courses for maintenance of professional knowledge of established specialists are organized.
For many years we have been responsible for the organization of anatomical demonstrations of specimen with congenital heart disease at the yearly AEPC congresses. Each year the sessions are dedicated to a specific subject in the wide spectrum of congenital heart disease.
In addition, the WG organizes an array of other educational activities, such as joined sessions with other WGs at the AEPC congresses as well as at other events. We also provide an update on other courses related to the subject of cardiovascular morphology.
Aims of our working group, facilitated by this website, are:
- To optimize the use of the available individual expertise of the WG members (and putative members!) to continuously increase knowledge and understanding of the anatomical substrate of congenital heart disease
- To identify clinical questions related to cardiac morphology, in order to adjust our educational activities to specific clinical demands
- To identify current hiatus in knowledge and to act upon suggestions by organizing courses dedicated to specific specialized subjects
- To provide an interactive forum for questions related to anatomy and/or embryology of congenital heart disease
- To provide the opportunity to present clinical cases with misunderstood substrate, such as the co-occurrence of specific forms of congenital heart disease, in order to receive input from WG members
- To promote research on various subjects relating to abnormal heart development and the resulting congenital heart disease
- To encourage research-collaborations between the different centers involved in our WG
- To develop new dedicated educational courses and maintain existing periodical courses on cardiac anatomy
- To collaborate with other working groups in order to optimize the clinical benefit of advanced education at multidisciplinary level.
- To continuously provide an updated overview of courses related to cardiovascular morphology throughout Europe and beyond
- To publish online educational sources of the continuously growing insight in the 3D cardiac anatomy
- To encourage young members to be active and play a significant role in deciding which subjects are relevant for optical professional education
- To update clinical guidelines related to autopsy
- Overall: to increase an in-depth knowledge of cardiac morphology and patho-morphology!
We gladly invite any health care professional, researcher or other persons interested or involved in diagnosis, research or clinical care of patients with congenital heart disease to join our working group. By joining the group, you will be able to participate in organized events aimed at fulfilling our main goal: to increase and substantiate the knowledge on the anatomical substrate of congenital heart disease.
Other advantages of becoming a member of the WG cardiovascular anatomy are
- Access to the members-only part of the website, with a.o.digital anatomical demonstration material
- Opportunities for participation in educational activities
- Opportunities to participate in research projects
- Opportunities for networking with members from other centers throughout Europe for clinical/educational/research purposes
- Access to the “ask the experts” forum for all your anatomical/embryological questions
- The opportunity to share your own expertise with the educational community! This does not neccesarily need to be anatomical expertise but we also welcome members of other working groups to join us to optimize the multidisciplinary application of knowledge and to identify clinical related questions
We have just launched our website, and hope you will enjoy it. Any suggestions for improvement or other comments are most welcome!
Hope to meet you all in Prague during the annual congress
Very best regards, on behalf of the entire Cardiovascular Morphology WG Board,
Monique Jongbloed, chair person